2 pounds golden beets
1 sweet apple (like Golden Delicious)
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
Water as needed
Pinch of sea salt
Greek yogurt for garnish (optional)
Cooked quinoa for garnish (optional)
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Peel and trim the golden beets, cutting them into 1-inch cubes.
2. Peel and core the apple, also cutting it into 1-inch cubes.
3. Add the beets, apples, onions and garlic to a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees until beets are tender, about an hour.
4. Remove from oven and puree beets, apples, onions and garlic until smooth, adding broth as needed.
5. Transfer puree to a medium sauce pan, add remaining broth, salt and some pepper. Warm over a medium-low heat, adding water for desired consistency.
6. Serve soup with a spoonful of Greek yogurt, cooked quinoa and chopped cilantro.